Bring a Mural to Your Neighborhood!
Newark Public Art Program Call for Walls
Due by July 31, 2013 5 pm
Download PDF flyer.
The Newark Public Art Program seeks large and prominent outdoor walls for permanent large-scale public paintings in all Newark neighborhoods. Newark Murals tell Newark’s stories, celebrating and commemorating underrecognized people, places, and events. Each Newark Mural results from a collaboration between a community-based organization, young people, researchers, and artists convened and facilitated by Newark Public Art Program staff. Selected projects receive up to $20,000 in public funds.
To nominate a wall, you must either be a Wall Owner (of any type of building) or Community Partner, a community-based organization willing to provide $5000 in matching funds, workspace, and other project ingredients. In addition, Community Partners must agree to participate in artist selection, host required public mural design meetings, and recruit young people and volunteers to help complete the work. Wall Owners must agree to provide access for mural installation and to preserve the artwork for ten years.
Most importantly, the Newark Public Art Program is committed to create artwork in places where it will matter most to improving everyday life in Newark.
Submissions must not be more than 3 pages and must answer the following questions:
1. Who is nominating the wall? Are you a Wall Owner, Community Partner, or both? Community Partners can be schools, church, mosque, or synagogue groups, and must commit to providing matching funds of $5000. Provide your name, organization, contact person, address, email, and phone number.
2. If you are a Community Partner but not a Wall Owner, who is the Wall Owner? Will the Wall Owner agree to participate in a mural project?
3. Why would a work of art on this wall improve your neighborhood? (This is the most important question. Please provide as much background as possible.)
4. What is address of the wall? What are its width and height? What material is it made from? What condition is it in? Please provide 3-5 photographs of the wall, both far away and close.
While only 3-5 projects are initiated each year, all nominations are kept on file permanently for future consideration.
(973) 733–5917 fax (973) 733–5662
newarkpublicart [at] gmail [dot] com
Newark Public Art Program
City of Newark
920 Broad Street #406
Newark, NJ 07102